Sunday, April 17, 2016

Exploring Making in English Curriculum




The upper school students in Robynne Graffam's playwriting class unleashed their creativity and stretched their problem-solving abilities as they built models of their sets with Legos, for their final project, a ten-minute original play that they have written and will perform for the class.  Graffam notes, "Translating an idea into words, and then into a 3D mode of storytelling with real actors, furniture and movement presents challenges unique to this form of writing, but the process also builds creative, spatial and linguistic skills they can apply broadly in the world outside the theater".  Junior Nicole Zannikos enjoyed the fun of hands-on building, describing the experience as “nostalgic.  I felt like a little kid again.”  Amanda Parker said, “It was cool to be able to build [your set design] how you see it,” and Nick Moeller felt the process “helped with where I wanted things to go.  I didn’t know how everything would work before I built this, but now I see what they can do.”  Jamie Hermance added, “I liked how I could plan the scene and see the route of the characters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment